Saturday, September 27, 2008

One Year Since Referral

It was one year ago today that I received that wonderful, unexpected call from Melissa.


http://nortongirl2.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-think-we-have-daughter.html


I have been revisiting that whirlwind of emotions this morning and looking at her referral picture on the wall. What a miracle this whole year has been.


I was at work, and (thank God) nearby my desk when my cell phone rang. It was Melissa, our home study social worker from Small World Adoptions. She said they had a file they'd like us to review. (Lora's breathing stops.) It was a little girl, 11 months old, with "left auricle atresia and dysaudia ." (Dis owdia, Melissa said.) I had no idea what dysaudia was until I saw it in writing and it made sense; it's not a word used commonly in the US. I did understand atresia, though, and it was nothing I was afraid of. I was Ari's mom already . . .


My friends Angie and Julianne were there when I got the call. After making sure that I was OK, of course, Angie said, "I'm so glad everything's OK, because now I can say, that was a really fun call to watch." Apparently, she and Julianne had been watching and debating, It's good news. It's bad news. No, it's good news. . . as they watched the expressions on my face. I remember I was biting on my knuckle.

I hung up the phone with Melissa, started sending e-mails and voice mails to Michael, and my friends and I hung around waiting for the e-mail with Ari's information and pictures. Of course, I did precisely what all the online advice says not to do when the referral comes -- scrolled down the pictures first! Then, I called all of my co-workers within ear shot, "Look at her! Look at her!" with many tears.

Well! Look at her now!




1 comment:

Nana said...

God did certainly bless us with this precious child. I truely am greatly blessed: by you, by your husband, our beautiful boys and my very own granddaughter. Our God IS an Awesome God and my prayer of thanks to Him for all of you is never-ending.