Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Nights

Ariana slept with us the whole time we were in China (and she sleeps like an egg beater), and I had some concerns about how to get her into a crib when we got home. She's done very well, but she is insistent about a middle-of-the-night play time. (I am generously attributing this to the desynchronisination of her internal clock and daylight hours and praying it will naturally fade with the jet lag.) During the night, I have three goals:

  • reassure her that I am there
  • keep her in her crib as much as possible
  • limit interaction and light

Even though she's interrupting my sleep, I have to say I'm amazed at how good she is. She doesn't insist on getting up or getting in bed with me. She cries for just a moment until she knows I'm there, and then plays nicely in her crib. I put my hand through the crib rails so she can touch me, and she does her best to try to fit her whole body into my hand and eventually goes back to sleep.

Last night, she cried for a minute, and when I quieted her, Gabrian was crying, "Mom! Mom! Ari's crying!" Michael went upstairs to comfort him, and that took longer than comforting her. Gabrian was too tired to find words, but could insist "Not OK! Crying!" It was actually very sweet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad things are going so well. I love reading your blog and hearing about Ariana. This entry in particular touched my heart. Thank you for allowing your friends a glimpse into your family's wonderful journey. Ariana couldn't have found a better family to love, nurture and care for her.

May God continue to bless your family!

Your friend,
~Rachelle :o)