Saturday, January 26, 2008

Babies and Kids In Beijing

We stood out quite a bit in Beijing. (I have read that it will be even more so in Nanning.) We are getting used to being stared at. There is nothing to do but make eye contact and smile. They don't look away. :)

I met a baby girl at the airport, 8-9 months old. She was very cute. I could hear her babbling behind me, "Da da da da da," so I turned around to meet one very shocked baby. Huge eyes, no expression, absolutely silent and still, unable to look away. It was so funny. (I guess that's how Ari will feel, and then they'll hand her over, less funny.) I flirted with the baby a little and never got a smile, but I did get her to reach out and touch my finger, E.T. style, and play a little game of take-turns-patting-the-seat-back.

I gave her mom one of my cards to help explain why I was bothering her baby. She looked at it, nodded, and the baby snatched it away. At that point, our family picture became visible. The mom took it back, pointed to my picture, to me, and held up four fingers. I nodded, and she held up the picture to another lady, babbling and holding up 4 fingers. She turned back to me and asked hesitantly, "Quatro?" I said, "Si. Quatro." Then someone beckoned her away and I did not get to discover if she knew any more Spanish than that. I would have loved to have a fumbling conversation in Spanish with a Chinese woman in Beijing. . .

After we got on the plane, there was a large group of children who boarded, probably 15 - 20 kids with a couple of chaperones. Some of them called to us, "Hello? Hello?" and then scurried on, giggling. Some were shy, smiled, and ducked their heads. One little girl hid her face, but Michael said hello and waved, and she smiled through her fingers. Another little girl's mouth literally fell open in shock, and the look on her face was utter disbelief. It was though she had just boarded a plane and found bigfoot having tea with the loch ness monster. It is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Poor Ariana.

No comments: