Monday, January 28, 2008

First Night Together

A brief report. . . I slept like a mom with a new baby. She slept with us, and she is a very restless sleeper (like Gabrian). Also attuned to every little squeak she makes, and happy to watch her sleeping face. Hmmm, I just yawned.

She did not cry at all when they handed her to me. She was very, very serious. She cried when we had to have our family picture taken for China's paperwork (She hates cameras) and continued for about 4 hours or a little longer. Poor baby. It was very easy to be patient with her while feeling helpless. She was so hot. She came with two pairs of pants, shirt, sweater, vest, fleece sweatshirt, and jacket. We started peeling layers off when we thought we wouldn't scare her too much, but she was still so hot. Finally, we gave her ibuprofen, not knowing if she had a fever or was hot from crying, but figuring by now, she probably has a headache, and it can't hurt. I also finally got her to take the bottle she had reached for and rejected by heating it - a lot. She likes it as hot as I would drink a mocha. Then she crashed in the carrier, and we went to dinner. She woke up during dinner but was quiet. Sure enough, about 4.5 hours after her ibuprofen dose, she was whimpering in her sleep, thrashing about, and very hot again. More 'profen, and 30 minutes later, sound asleep and cool. Poor little thing is sick. (So is big brother Cameron.) She is digging at her good ear and pulling at both of them. Maybe it is an ear infection? I am unsure of the hypothesis because she is pulling at her microtic ear as well. It might just be a comforting geture or habit. Or is it possible that she has middle ear structures on that side that could become infected? I have no idea.

After dinner, she felt better and was able to play on the floor a little. She was showing off how bright she is with her play skills, and Daddy got the camera out. She dove onto my shoulder and clutched me (picture below), and I thought it was very nice that she came for comfort. She is terrified of the camera. It might be a while before we get any happy pictures. Michael thinks it might be because there were at least one dozen cameras/camcorders and flashes everywhere in that horrible room where her life was shattered and she was given to these strangers.

A bit after this unfortunate camera encounter, she was crawling back toward the toys and gestured at me to come. I started crawling after her, and she stopped, smiled, and reached to touch my face. That first smile meant for me rates very high up there with the best moments of my life!

No comments: